T.F.S.C. was founded in 1951 with the founding name of Merritton Figure Skating Club. The founding group, were skaters, and parents of skaters that had been members of the Winder Club of St. Catharines.The reason Thorold started the Skating Club with Merritton’s name was that the provincial paper of Thorold pumped brine to the rink so artificial ice was formed in the Town of Thorold before Merritton.Merritton Figure Skating Club’s first board consisted of Merritton, Thorold and some St. Catharines residents.This was a community-funded club; with help coming from Hayes Steel, (now known as Hayes Dana) providing costumes for their first carnival and then the Kiwanis Club of Thorold who sponsored the next four years.There were 40 skaters that trained with Mr. and Mrs. F.A. Proctor for their next carnival.
The year 1952-53 meant another name change to Merritton-Thorold Figure Skating Club. This time Thorold was added to the name, as Thorold was the home ice location.
The Club continued training skaters and having yearly carnivals, before another name change in 1953- 54 to the Linwell Skating Club. This name was formed from Lincoln and Welland Counties, which the skating club was part of.
By 1956, the Linwell Skating Club still owed Hayes Steel for their support, so the club gave them a Sunday of ice time each year to for their children’s Christmas party. This continued for a number of years, in addition to memberships being given to the employees. This helped increase the membership enrollment.
In the following years, Linwell continued to have their annual ice show and hired a few different professional coaches to train the skaters. By the late 60’s early 70’s the club had grown to 500 members. In 1972, Linwell Skating Club had its first skater qualify for the national competition (Canadians) at the novice level, in Lonna Jorgenson, who placed ninth in Canada.
Linwell helped fundraise for another arena in 1972 and by 1974 they were operating out of two rinks. 1974 was another great year with a new ice surface and its first gold medalists in figure and freeskate in 23 years, Kathy Pizzacalla, and the first in the last 10 years in the Niagara Peninsula. The previous gold medalists in dance years before included Berry Ann Lusk and Carol Ann McSween.
The years 1976 and 1977 brought about the retirement of two very important members of the skating club in Mr. and Mrs. F.A. Proctor who had over 50 years (combined) of volunteering experience in the skating club, but the membership continued to range between 400 and 500 skaters. In 1978, the Club had carnival numbers compete in a Precision Skating Competition (now called synchronized skating) in Rochester, NY, thus bringing the first precision skating to the Niagara area.
The Niagara Invitational Precision Competition was founded in 1979 by a group of interested parents and skating enthusiasts of L.S.C. This competition brought teams from Ontario, New York, Ohio and New Jersey and the L.S.C. hosted this competition for five years.
In 1980 the club became incorporated to Linwell Skating Club Inc. In 1983-84 there was another major name change, which made people realize geographically where L.S.C. was located and called home. Thorold Figure Skating Club Inc. was born and this also gave recognition to the City of Thorold for its support.
Visited 556 times, 2 Visits today